Part of our Summer Tour 2020
Aylesford Priory or The Friars is a priory in Aylesford, near Maidstone, Kent, England. It was founded in 1242 by the first Carmelites to come from the Holy Land, under the patronage of the crusader Richard de Grey.
After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the Friars passed to Sir Thomas Wyatt, Sir John Sedley, Sir Peter Rycaut, Sir John Banks and Heneage Finch, 1st Earl of Aylesford among others. In 1949 the house was put up for sale and the Carmelites were able to buy back their motherhouse.